Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Lean on me

What do girdles, head gear, and Microsoft online solution centers have in common?
If you are thinking that they are all painful institutions created to inflict torture, you would be partially correct. But I'm talking about Support.
For reasons unbeknownst to me, I am training for a 5k coming up at the end of January in the gnarly city of Santa Cruz. Just another hodad on the boardwalk. But seeing as it is my first physical endeavor of the sort, I turned to my pal Annie, a seasoned athlete, for support.
The conversation went like this:

me: i heard earl grey has a nice taste
btw
9:21 AM im training for a marathon!
annita: are you?
me: on jan 29
annita: wait
the marathon is ON jan 29th?
how long have you been training
me: a day
2 days
scratch that
its been 3 days
annita: you're lying arent you
9:22 AM me: nope
its the truth
annita: i'm very proud shereen!
but a month isn't alot of training
9:23 AM me: lol i know
its not a big one
only like 5k i think
9:24 AM annita: wait
that's not a marathon shereen....
9:25 AM me: are we splitting hairs now
ok im taking a walk around my neighborhood
but im calling it a marathon
9:26 AM annita: cool i'm going to partake in the kentucky derby
but instead of a horse it's my legs
and instead of a track, it's around the mall
me: awesome
9:27 AM let me know how seabiscuit is doing
and by seabiscuit i mean the mall security guard

Now, she's no Bill Withers, but I've learned that every friend is supportive in their own way. Some friends pat you on the back, others make you pie (none of my friends make me pie, but I assume they exist), and still others make sarcastic metaphors to show their support and keep you grounded. And I wouldn't have it any other way.
Here's to friends! And to all of your other loyal supporters.

other kinds of support: Financial Support

1 comment:

  1. HAHAHAH!

    I don't think this puts me in the category of a supportive friend, but I can't wait for you to do your 'marathon'!

    ReplyDelete